[Asterisk-Users] X100P Clone, Which one?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sat Mar 5 11:32:39 MST 2005

On March 5, 2005 12:22 pm, Rich Adamson wrote:
> There seems to be about a half dozen "self-appointed" list cops, and
> none of them speak for Mark, digium or asterisk. Several of those are
> lurking on this list only to find fresh meat to sell their services to.
> It's obvious who they are.

I have *never* claimed to speak for Digium.  Actually I don't think any of the
"self appointed list cops" do.  If you can provide me with archive URLs that
prove otherwise I'd be surprised.  And I also don't think that any of us
"self appointed list cops" actively solicit our services.  Again, if you'll
care to peruse the list archives you'll find I am very helpful on this list,
just as you are.  If I was out to make a killing with Asterisk consulting I
wouldn't do that, so your argument fails on this point.  As I'm not
subscribed to asterisk-biz I think that's an even further failure of that
point.

I think it comes down to tolerances.  Some days I am far less tolerant than
others when it comes to people who just don't want to put forward any effort.
Today was particularly bad and if I was a smarter person, would probably
refrain from reading the list at all.  I don't always self-regulate so well,
and this particular thread's a good example.

Perhaps I was a little harsh when I said I hoped that nobody would help this
guy out.  In fact, I know I was, and I do apologize for that.  I do not,
however, apologize for saying if he's not able to solve these kinds of
problems that he should be buying Digium hardware.  When you buy "outside"
you are on your own, and buying a clone X100P is particularly bad for this
since there are so many different PCI IDs.

Whether the X100P is available from Digium or not is irrelavent, there are
solutions Digium has that would solve this guy's particular problem, support
Digium *and* enable him to obtain support which was included in the cost of
the hardware.  Is it as cheap as a $20 clone X100P without its PCI ID in the
driver?  Hell no, but he would have functioning hardware.  How much is his
time worth?

Digium (well Mark, but he *is* Digium) has provided the PCI IDs of several of
the popular clones in the driver already.  It seems our original poster
either didn't buy one that was compatible, or it's even more "out there" than
the clones Mark's already added "support" for.  Again -- I wonder if it still
feels like such a shit-hot deal.

Either way -- he's gone and done his research and is stuck.  I personally
won't help him out of this jam, but others, perhaps even you, will.

Aside: I find it an interesting datapoint that you (and everyone else, but you
in particular) would reply to this thread to bitch about me rather than
giving this guy his solution, especially since I'm so "wrong" in berating
him.

> Much easier to config the mail reader to send those to your favorite
> trash bucket then it is to keep reading their BS day after day.

Feel free to do so, it won't affect me in any way shape or form.

> If there really were any official-sponsored restrictions on the list,
> the words would come from Mark, Digium, etc.

Totally agreed.

> Come to think of it, maybe all of us that are fed up with their postings
> should just forward those back to their email address. Maybe they would
> get the hint and some manners.

I have plenty of manners, but sometimes I forget them and say stupid things
like I did to the original poster.

Further, I'm sure you'd know that any kind of stupid auto-reply like that
would just escalate into an auto-reply-reply (I'm not beneath tit-for-tat if
you care to play that game) and just continue until both of us had our mail
filters tuned up so well that we'd just ignore each other's immature
"flooding", and our auto-repliers would end up wasting the available
bandwidth between us, essentially proving nothing.  :-)

Just in case you missed it, I am sorry that I wrote that I hope that nobody
helps this guy.  I stand behind my other points in the original email,
though.  Clone/alternative hardware can work great, but if it doesn't you
find yourself in this guy's shoes.

-A.