[Asterisk-Users] Difference between Snom 190 & Elmeg 290?

Torsten Krueger torsten at nrw-online.de
Sat Mar 5 06:16:19 MST 2005

Hello Remco,

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005, Remco Barende wrote:

> Hi list!
>
> While looking for the Snom 190 I found another phone, the Elmeg IP 290
> (www.elmeg.de).
>
> Looking at the pictures & the specs they seem to be very similar beasts
> but the firmware is supposedly not interchangeable.
>
> Does anyone know the difference between the 2, do they work with Asterisk?
>
> The weird thing is that Elmeg has similar phones with the Snom look but
> they are ISDN only (no voip) while Snom has several other models that are
> IP. Who's cloning who? I don't want to end up with phones for which
> firmware support or update will disappear soon while the 'orginal' will
> continue to be supported?

Elmeg has been for a long time a manufacturer of ISDN Phones and small to
medium PBXes in germany. Snom uses the chassis of the elmeg phones and
puts their own electronics in them. So it seems very likely that the elmeg
IP-Phones are in fact Snom phones. I do not wether the firmware can be
changed across elmeg and snom, but if there are no artificial barriers in
place that prevent this this could be possible.

Torsten