[Asterisk-Users] Re: No ringback over IAX - LiveVoip

Paul Fielding paul at fielding.ca
Sat Mar 5 00:53:45 MST 2005

Hi Robert,

I tried yours and Steven's scenarios and you're absolutely right.  I get
ringback when the initial call takes place, but if I then try to do a
transfer to another extension after the fact I do not hear ringback on the
line.  So I absolutely agree that there is a problem.

What I'm not trying to understand is how Ringback works in this context.
For lack of knowing better, my first thought would be that LiveVoip would be
correct - that the problem is with asterisk, since I would have assumed that
once LiveVoip has connected the call and asterisk has answered, all they're
doing is providing audio in and out - wouldn't be Asterisk's responsibility
to provide new ringtones to the calling party at this new transfer point?

However, if everyone *does* get ringback when using other providers then it
makes sense that there's something happening at LiveVoip's end.  *shrug*.
I'm interested in what the technicals are here....

regards,

Paul