[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk + SIP + NAT - seriously, what's the secret?

Mark Farver mfarver at ticom.com
Fri Mar 4 14:01:52 MST 2005

Stuart Ford wrote:

>Seriously, this has to be the simplest NAT problem there is with
>Asterisk. What's the secret? How do I learn the dark art? What am I
>missing?

I'm guessing here, but the NAT'd grandstream does not have the correct
external IP configured.

The phones are trying to establish a direct SIP to SIP connection, after
SIP to SIP call is established asterisk tries to get out of the middle
of the conversation.  This decreases latency and save processing on the
asterisk box.  "canreinvite=no" sometimes helps this problem when
asterisk is a sip client... don't know if it will have an effect here.

The thing to do is setup an extension with the Echo Application.  Call
that from each phone and see what happens.  If it works for both phones
you know the problem is a reinvite issue, if one phone or the other
doesn't work it is a network or Nat config issue.  No sense flailing
about, try to reduce the problem space.

If your familiar with ethereal it can be used to snoop on the SIP
connection.. SIP is human readable, so you might be able to learn
something interesting.

But I really know almost nothing about this.

Mark Farver