[OT] - [Asterisk-Users] Why should I answer a Newbie question, therethick!

Wiley Siler wsiler at education2020.com
Fri Mar 4 00:04:46 MST 2005

Look.  Lets make it simple.

In most cases, if a guru is bored or not interested in a noob question they just ignore it.  Personally, I find myself answering some of these specifically because I am not a guru and not quite a noob anymore either.  The majority of those that dump what are essentually dumb questions here do so because they know no better.  They are new at *, sometimes new at Linux, and most of all new to the list.  Doesn't offend me, I just send them a "google site:lists.digium.com <some word>" email and explain why they are getting ignored.

Everyone in this current thread has a good point.  Yes, people really should RTFM but maybe it is not in everyones interest to rag them about it.  We can use better ways of communication without trying to send a negative vibe to the new guys.

Yes, people who know no better should be given some slack and taught and "shaped" into good questioner, list users, and hopefully contributors.  Regardless, taking offense in any situation like this is counter productive.

Gurus, keep on doing your thing.  Answer those you find worthy and ignore those that didn't study Asterisk 101. Or if you want to help out even the most mundane of questioners, then more power to you.  Then, if your voice is heard, it is only when you are doing something positive to help out another and help out the Asterisk community.  Why speak up at all if it is a waste of your time?

Everyone else, make it a point to give direction to the noobs so they know where to start out.  Consider it Asterisk boot camp and we all get to train a complete * virgin or two.  Direct them to the starting point and tell them the rules of the game.

My guess is that the majority of us on this list are not people who have been involved since the inception of Asterisk.  Most of us got a start with a rudimentary understanding and the desire to be part of the open source community, not to mention save some bucks.  That means most of us asked a dumb question or two.  Personally, I have gotten the snide reply before when I asked a dumb question.  Also I have gotten some wonderful advice and direction when I asked the right question and showed I put forth a real effort.  That taught me the way this works and I adhere to it now.  Lets teach them the same.

You don't have to throw the noobs a bone if you don't want to but remember that you are shaping the next generation of Asterisk users and hopefully the next group who will carry Asterisk to even more people.  You patience nets us one more person who is on the Asterisk wagon and that is a good thing.

That is just my $0.02.  Please don't flame me.  There is no point to this kind of angst on the list.  It is a waste of email when we should all realize that participation is voluntary.

Best regards to all,
Wiley