[OT] - [Asterisk-Users] Why should I answer a Newbie question, therethick!

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Mar 3 20:16:24 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 17:09 -0800, Jeff Busch wrote:
> As someone who is new to Asterisk and Linux (I guess I am a newbie), but
> who has been doing a ton of research, Google searches, and is getting to
> intimately know the wiki, I take offense to Steven Critchfield's
> commentary about newbies.

> 1. Before asking a question, do a Google search
> 2. After a general Google search, do a specific search on this group
> 3. After a Google search, look at http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk
> the information contained in these pages will answer 95% of your startup
> questions.
> 4. If you have done 1, 2, & 3 - feel free to email the list.
> 5. Please do not email the list asking people to hold your hand.  That
> is not what the list is for, it is for help if you run into an
> implementation problem, not to teach you the basics by using 1, 2, & 3.

After trimming 4 or so email messages out of this that didn't seem to be
relevant to your reply other than being in the same thread, I am left
wondering what exactly you took offense to.

It seems the portion left below matches pretty much with your comment
above. We both seem to feel it is important to do the searching first
and not expect hand holding.

You and I are much more the same than not.