[Asterisk-Users] New user - problem getting dtmf tones through VOIP providers?

Moore James james_in_pacific_beach at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 3 14:27:54 MST 2005

Just setting up Asterisk.  I'd like to be able to dial
out through VOIP providers and have customers type in
a code in response to a prompt.

So far, I've been able to set things up to make the
call and play the prompt.  However, my problem now is
the DTMF tones; they don't register when I call
get_data.  When I make a call in person (from the DIAX
softphone, through a VOIP provider, finally out to an
analog POTS phone), and then press buttons on the
analog phone, I don't hear clear tones.  What I get
sounds more like a burst of static than anything else.
 I'm assuming this is the problem (if a human can't
hear the dtmf tones, Asterisk can't either).

Suggestions?  I've tried setting dtmfmode to inband,
rfc2833 and info in the iax.conf file for one of the
providers (sixtel) with no apparent effects.

Right now, I'm using sixtel and voipjet; they're the
only two that can complete calls for me; I'm still
trying to get simpletelecom and diamondcard to work
for just a plain voice call.

I'm using the latest CVS version of Asterisk (as of a
few hours ago).

 - James