[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk not relaying back the SIP response messages

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu Mar 3 09:52:34 MST 2005

Atif Rasheed wrote:
> HI all,
>
> I have the following setup running:
>
> EP<--->Calling Asterisk<--->Relaying Asterisk<--->Softswitch<---> PSTN
>
> The Endpoint EP is registered with the Calling Asterisk. Calls are
> forwarded from this machine to
> Relaying Asterisk which in turn forwards it to the Softswitch. In
> addition, this machine also
> relays back responses from the Softswitch to the Calling Asterisk.
>
> Now the problem is that error responses from the Softswitch to the
> Relaying Asterisk are not relayed
> back to the Calling Asterisk. Instead a 403 forbidden error message is
> sent back to the Calling
> Asterisk whatever the error response (503, 484, etc).
>
>  Is there a way to relay back error responses through configuration
> scripts or do I have to dig
>  in the source code

You need a SIP proxy, not a PBX, in order to do that. Asterisk will
convert all errors from all VoIP protocols into Asterisk error codes and
then convert them to SIP again. That's simply a result of having two
multiprotocol PBX's in the call path. You will not see SIP details from
the dial plan and can't relay it.

We could add a SIPRESULTCODE variable, but I can't see how that helps
you... It depends on how your two asterisk servers communicate.

/O