[Asterisk-Users] Why should I answer a Newbie question, there thick!

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Mar 2 09:03:38 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 09:38 +0000, BCS Support wrote:
> It would be nice just for once to actually use a mailing list with people
> who are a little more sympathetic to the fact that your not a rocket
> scentist or molecular biologist and that you might actually need some
> help,
> without being made to feel like your completely useless and should be
> cleaning toilets for a living.

But someone has to clean toilets. Microsoft isn't the only one to blame
for the reported millions of infected computers on the internet. Some
people really shouldn't be tasked with administration of a machine let
alone the provisioning of a phone system.

> "Ahhh man not another stupid newbie question! are these people completely
> lazy and thick? lets postup some sarcastic comment!"
> --- really usefull!
>
> Yes I have spent hours researching on Google, but what may take me 3 days
> to workout, wading through pages of out of date information, can normally
> be answered by some with a little experience in seconds.

Sounds like either you haven't made it up the first part of the learning
curve and/or your search/research skills still need work. The latter
part is not within the scope of this mailing list. If you can do basic
research, you should be able to then ask direct questions with the
proper amount of details that it becomes an interesting question to
those who you would want to answer your question.

> Opensource is about a freindly, helpfull community of people who instead
> of choosing the large corporate companies, decide to give the little guy a
> chance.

As others have pointed out, this is not true. No where is friendly a
requirement. No where is helpful a requirement. No where is opensource a
anti corporate tool.

Examples, Go look up the reputations of some of the biggest names in
opensource software. ESR went to the trouble to write a fairly long
paper just so you could learn how not to get quickly flamed even by
himself. There are some well known BSD developers that are well known
for their treatment of people who don't agree with them let alone just
act like newbies.

> Don't put people off just because their not the next Albert Einstein,
> otherwise the likes of Microsoft etc. have already won!

Microsoft did win, we are just about to take the trophy away.

Maybe you should use that whiny line on your next employer and see if it
helps you get the job. Of course you might find that whiny adults
actually generate a repulsive reaction by other adults and you are
actually more likely to receive more of the same treatment.