[Asterisk-Users] /dev/zap not created

Phil Quinney phil at any-ideas.com
Wed Mar 2 08:43:02 MST 2005

Hey Rizwan,

On 2 Mar 2005, at 15:02, Rizwan Chaudhry wrote:

> I installed asterisk on Fedora Core 2 kernel 2.6.5. I followed the
> standard procedure. zaptel-libpri-asterisk. The thing is that I
> constantly get the error message:
>
> line 4: Unable to open master device '/dev/zap/ctl'

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Fedora Core 2 uses UDEV. Look through
the output of ps -A and see if there is a udevd running. If there is
you're running udev and need to read README.udev which is in the zaptel
source directory.

> where the file zaptel.conf contains only 4 files:
>
> fxoks=1
> fxsks=4
> defaultzone=us
> loadzone=us
>
> I cant run asterisk and get a load of error messages.
>
> When I tried to check the directory /dev/zap, it wasnt there. It isnt
> created during installation.  Can someone help me out.
>
> Apart from that, should I get a dialtone in the fxs module when the
> tdm400p is connected in the computer?  because I have no way of
> checking whether my device is correctly connected.

Things won't be properly loaded until you have udev sorted. As far as I
know anyway.

Phil.