[Asterisk-Users] More NAT questions

Rudolf Ladyzhenskii rudolfl at optusnet.com.au
Wed Mar 2 05:26:56 MST 2005

Hi, all

Still trying to get NAT working.

I have following setup:

PHONE  1 ------ * BOX

             NAT/Firewall

                 PHONE 2

Firewall next to phone 2 has all ports open.
Firewall next to Asterisk has open ports 5060 and 10000:20000. All of those
are forwarded to Asterisk box.

Both phones succesfully register with Asterisk. (I had to add NAT=yes to
configuration of PHONE 2 in sip.conf to get this far).
Now, problems:
I can place a call from PHONE2 to PHONE1, but sound path is not established.
Calls from PHONE1 to PHONE2 can not be placed at all. (I assume that this is
because port 5060 is not forwarded to the phone at NAT/Firewall, but more on
it later).

Looking at SIP debug info, Asterisk tries to use local address of PHONE2
instead of its public IP. As a result, no info can be sent to it.

I have tried to install SIPROXD on the NAT/Firewall close to Asterisk box,
but this did not help.

Now, we have tried to use one of the commercial VoIP service at PHONE2
location. We had to use their phone and it worked just fine without any
alterations to NAT/Firewall device. I am pretty sure that they use SIP, so
they did resolve the problem somehow. Sorry, there is no technical info
available on this service.

Did anyone succeeded in doing this setup? I know, IAX is a better way, but I
can not setup many Asterisk boxes.

Basically, I am doing it for a friend. He is working for a small medical
company. They have number of offices that are not open every day and offices
are too small to put Asterisk box in each one. There will be 1-3 IP phones
in each office, except central one. Central one will need Asterisk, the rest
should be on their own.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rudolf