[Asterisk-Users] Why echo occurs

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Tue Mar 1 23:41:59 MST 2005

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005, Steve Underwood wrote:

[ DELETED ]
> How do you control acoustic spill within a phone through the use of
> directional microphones? Adjusting gains mitigates the issue a bit, but
> is hardly a solution. These are just bodges, not solutions.

And just to add my two cents to the thread, the handsets themselves can
act as sound conductors when you have a very loud and active earpiece, as
found in the Cisco 7960. We have found that most of our clients using
Cisco phones invariable crank the earpiece volume to 100% and then
complain about echo issues within the first week. When we tell them to
turn the volume down on the phone, they don't believe us until we explain
that they are hearing the speaker being picked up by the microphone. I
wish ALL echo issues were as easy to solve! :)

                             KP-216-121-ST