[Asterisk-Users] Re: FRS over *

James Taylor jltaylor at metrotel.net
Tue Mar 1 12:32:51 MST 2005

I haven't seen any "duplex" handhelds that I can remember (ther must be
some).
The repeater would most likely be "duplex".  Many repeaters are built from
either two under-dash mobile radios or the old GE MasterII units
The question you really want to ask is if they can operate on different
transmit and receive frequencies.  This is normally referred to as
"semi-duplex".

http://www.shipmanenterprises.com/freetalk-xl.htm
http://www.antennasystems.com/midland_radio.html

I've looked at the dingotel & 446 stuff.
Looks like you just need a handheld with a good VOX.

And, since GMRS regs allow "wireline control", I suppose that as long as
you never got to the PSTN, you would be ok. Read the regs and decide for
yourself.

James Taylor