[Asterisk-Users] Gizmo: Skype done right?

hank hanksmith5 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 16:36:00 MST 2005

win isn't out yet
----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Espinoza" <erik.espinoza at gmail.com>
<asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 3:30 PM
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] Gizmo: Skype done right?

Agreed. IAX2 would have been a much better way to go. Regardless i
don't see how an open source, standards based softphone will compete
with Skype. Skype has a few things going for it:

1) Hype, lots of it. It's no coincidence that that the two rhyme
2) Built in traversal of firewalls - p2p style (have I mentioned I
hate sip + nat)
3) Encryption, Encryption, Encryption

An open source, standards based free implementation does not win over
users. There needs to be more, just ask the Ogg folks how MP3's doing.

Also it's worth noting that both are free, however Skype has a Linux
version!

Skype = Win, Mac, Lin x86, PocketPC
Gizmo Beta = Mac, Win (Coming Soon: Linux?)

Erik

On 6/30/05, Matt Fredrickson <creslin at digium.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 01:31:55PM -0700, Jerry Glomph Black wrote:
> > I've just submitted this as a Slashdot story, too.
> > I have absolutely no connection with any of the principals, I just think
> > they
> > are doing the right thing.   This could have a major impact on the
> > Asterisk
> > community, and VoIP usage in general.
> >
> > Michael Robertson, of mp3.com fame, has been battling for open standards
> > in the
> > IP telephony world, in addition to his better-known Lindows (now
> > Linspire, at
> > http://www.linspire.com) venture to promote Linux on the desktop.  His
> > sipphone.com VoIP operation works great for me, but Michael has been
> > long
> > concerned about the totally closed and proprietary nature of Skype (as
> > well as a
> > lot of the misleading hype surrounding it).
> >
> > Today his crew released "Gizmo" (at "http://www.gizmoproject.com) (a
> > tentative
> > name until a better one is found) which has the main benefits of Skype,
> > PLUS it
> > is layered upon SIP, DUNDI, and the existing sipphone.com
> > infrastructure,
>                   ^^^
>
> Looks like they already messed up... If they're going to redo all of this
> anyway,
> they might as well use a protocol like IAX where you don't have NAT
> problems.
>
> Matthew Fredrickson
To UNSUBSCRIBE or update options visit: