[Asterisk-Users] Gizmo: Skype done right?

Michiel van Baak michiel at vanbaak.info
Thu Jun 30 15:47:31 MST 2005

On 15:30, Thu 30 Jun 05, Erik Espinoza wrote:
> Agreed. IAX2 would have been a much better way to go. Regardless i
> don't see how an open source, standards based softphone will compete
> with Skype. Skype has a few things going for it:
>
> 1) Hype, lots of it. It's no coincidence that that the two rhyme
> 2) Built in traversal of firewalls - p2p style (have I mentioned I
> hate sip + nat)
> 3) Encryption, Encryption, Encryption

huh?? why is this a pre ?
All my connections (cept to our ITSP) are encrypted.
Even the IAX2 and SIP links between the different asterisk
machines.
In my opinion encrypting the whole network stack is a better
way to go then just encrypt one protocol while leaving a lot
of other sensitive stuff flow unencrypted.
Encryption is higly overrated in voip world. Did you ever
try to evedrop a call ???

> An open source, standards based free implementation does not win over
> users. There needs to be more, just ask the Ogg folks how MP3's doing.

I have around 10 GB of mp3 and "only" 64 GB of .ogg files.
More and more ppl adept .ogg cause it's simply better.
A better example would be Video2000 vs VHS. That's where the
best hyped version (read, the best lost) won.

> Also it's worth noting that both are free, however Skype has a Linux version!
>
> Skype = Win, Mac, Lin x86, PocketPC
> Gizmo Beta = Mac, Win (Coming Soon: Linux?)
>
> Erik

Just my 2 cents, and by no means the truth

Michiel