[Asterisk-Users] AMP or Asterisk

El Flynn el_flynn at lanvik-icu.com
Wed Jun 29 17:26:10 MST 2005

Dave Morrow wrote:
> Hi all.  I have been using Asterisk for sometime now and have recently come across AMP for the first time.  I am wondering if someone could enlighten me a little as to the advantages and disadvantages to using AMP as opposed to the "do-it-yourself" Asterisk?  Is this documented someplace?
>
> Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

AMP and others of the same ilk:
Pros
- web-based
   - some apps provide a graphical approach, e.g. Flash Operator Panel
- abstracts most of the complexities into point-and-click interfaces
- easier to manage, up to a certain point

Cons
- you're forced to work within the constraints of the application
   - can't simply modify the config files
- some restrictions when you want to do complicated stuff with the dialplan
   - complex constructs hand-rolled into the dialplan may screw up the app
- certain features not included
   - some apps don't work with Zap interfaces, for example
- harder to integrate custom modules

"Do-it-yourself" approach:
Pros
- highest level of flexibility in implementing your * box
   - add your own custom modules
   - complex dialplan constructs
- won't have to run more services than necessary (no need for Apache etc)
- forces you to learn more about the internals

Cons
- lots of editing text files
- prone to typos
- dialplan "programming" can be tedious
- forces you to learn more about the internals

My 2 cents.
Flynn