[Asterisk-Users] Re: Recommend against Teliax as primary ITSP

Ivan Fetch voip at IvanFetch.com
Wed Jun 29 12:35:18 MST 2005

Hi Chris,

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Chris Coulthurst wrote:

> I really hate to have to make a post like this, but I feel I have little
> choice but to relay to the group my experience with Teliax, and explain why
> I recommend against using them as a primary Voip-> PSTN provider.  I hope
> that a letter like this will inspire companies like Teliax to work harder at
> customer service, as well as circuit stability.  We need more companies that
> offer the types of service they do.
>
> I have been using Teliax for about 3 months now, and they were my first ITSP
> when I started playing with Asterisk and my Grandstream BT101.  I picked
> them arbitrarily because they had low rates, and supported the IAX2
> protocol, which I determined to be more firewall friendly.  Right away, I
> was happy with the reponse, the online ordering, and the low rate.
>
> It didn't take long for the multitude of outages to occur.  Now, while I
> claim to be no VoIP expert, I did a variety of tests to make sure the
> problems weren't on my end.  I recommended Teliax to a business partner, who
> has a Linux box in a data center downtown, and had access to their system as
> well.   When I'd find outages, I would first check to see if they were
> having the same problem.  So far, every time I had a problem, so did they.
> I am also registered with FWD on IAX2 and they were always up.   Any tech
> support calls to Teliax would take more than 2 days to get a response.  Only
> when I threatened to leave would someone suddenly pop up and answer my
> concerns.
>
> They claim to have been changing bandwidth providers (away from rockynet, or
> at least companies that peer with Cogent), but traceroutes show they are
> still with them.  So far, when I've actually gotten ahold of a tech support
> person, they have told me to try different addresses for the server.
> They've changed recently from voip.teliax.com to ast01.teliax.com to
> voip-co1.teliax.com.  Guess what?  All the same server.  Its just more of
> the same runaround.
>
> Since the day I switched to VoIP (with Teliax) as my primary outbound
> calling, more people have laughed at me for my choice of VoIP as a telco
> medium than can be counted.  And these are people who respect me in the
> Telco community, and who I have been trying to convince of the benefits.
> They don't see the benefits when they can't call me, and I can't call them.
>
> I understand that all companies have their problems, especially with such
> emerging technology as VoIP.  I would have very little problem with Teliax,
> and use a secondary provider as a backup, if they were more forthright in
> explaining their problems, and notify their customer base within a
> reasonable time when they are going to have outages due to network changes.
> As it stands, I now have to find a new provider that will at least duplicate
> the features of Teliax.
>
> The hardest part of this is, they offer BYOD, use IAX2, and let you change
> [...]

   At the risk of now causing problems with them (I'm not superstitious,
but there does seem to be a rather humorous trend), I've had good luck
with the voicepulse connect (http://connect.voicepulse.com) number I've
got.  I don't use them for outbound calls at the moment (although it's
part of the package).

   It took voicepulse about three weeks to get another block of
numbers in my area (Denver 303/720), but their representatives
were helpful and allowed me to start with a number in another
area for testing, and then move to a local number without
additional charge.  Their charges are $11/month
per inbound number, $0.02/minute for outgoing calls, and I believe three
(possibly four?) simultaneous incoming calls.

   While I haven't been with them for long (three months) and my usage is
mostly residentual / starting business calls, I thought I'd offer my experience
none the less.

Thanks - Ivan Fetch.