[Asterisk-Users] Setting Caller ID after Dial

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Jun 29 11:53:44 MST 2005

On Wednesday 29 June 2005 13:37, Eric Wieling aka ManxPower wrote:
> Your carrier can allow you to set your own Caller*ID NUMBER.  Some
> carriers do this by default, some on request, some refuse to do so.
>
> Your carrier lets us set our Caller*ID NUMBER to anything we want.
>
> The Caller*ID NAME you have no control over.  It will show up as
> whatever name is associated with the number.

Actually that isn't correct.

Bell Canada allows us to set our Caller ID name and number to anything.  When
we first had the PRI provisioned I set the caller ID name "HINDI HOTTIES"
with a random Toronto, ON number and called my ex-wife at the office.  :-)

Of course, if my call terminates off of Bell's network then the terminating
carrier takes the name, does a database lookup and replaces whatever I put
for the name with the database value, but just blindly saying that you can't
set caller ID name is incorrect.

-A.