[Asterisk-Users] problems with chan_capi 0.3.5 , divactrl, eicon diva server, and kernel 2.6.10/2.6.12

Armin Schindler armin at melware.de
Wed Jun 29 02:34:30 MST 2005

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, Luis Vazquez wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'm having problems getting chan_capi 0.3.5 to work well with an Eicon Diva
> Server card using using the driver from linux kernel both 2.6.10 and 2.6.12
> (vanilla versions).

Have you tried the chan_capi-cm version from sourceforge ?

> I have a (really two) producción system(s) running chan_capi in another
> identical Eicon Card using kernel 2.4.27 and the Diva Server drivers from
> Eicon. I installed an compiled the source level rpm
> divas4linux_EICON-104.429-1.i386.rpm into a binary rpm named
> divas4linux_EICON-105.465-1.i386.rpm.
> It works (allmost) without problems except for the fact of some random
> segmentation faults in Asterisk when capi is handling incoming calls (the same
> problem has already been reported in the list without solutions as long as I
> know).

This doesn't sound like a problem with the diva drivers...

> The problem with Eicon's Diva Server Driver is they dont give a version to
> work with kernel 2.6 and I need to upgrade to k2.6 for many reasons, besides I
> prefer to use the open source version.

You don't want to use the drivers which are part of kernel 2.6.x ?

> 1-  When I made a call from Asterisk through the capi interface it take many
> seconds (around 10 secs) to get connected and then you hear a static noise,
> something like permanent random clicks mixed with the voice.
> I used the ditrace tool to debug a call and I see many "Layer 1 -> [Lost
> Framing]" in the output, not present when using the same BRI line in the
> production PBX using k2.4.27 and Eicon's Driver/Tools.
> I have tried exchanging the cards too, but the problem is the same.
> 0:01:53.032 s 2 Layer 1 -> [Lost Framing] <-----
> 0:01:53.032 s 2 Layer 2 -> [Idle]
> 0:01:53.034 s 2 Layer 1 -> [Syncronized]
> 0:01:53.034 s 2 Layer 2 -> [Idle]

This looks like a layer 1 connection problem.
What type of ISDN line do you have and which divactrl load parameters
did you use?

> 2 - After the call is terminated from asterisk side I see the  hangup on
> asterisk CLI but the capi line keeps busy for a while (at least 15-20 secs). I
> see the orange light in Eicon Card is on and I'm unable to place a new call in
> meantime.

This might be the same like 1.

> 3 - Sometimes when I take the system down (halt or reboot) I get a kernel
> panic with null pointer errors related to capi drivers.

Backtrace / Oops message ?

> What is the best isdn libs version for using with chan_capi, k2.6.* and
> divactrl??

your versions should be okay.

> Does anybody has a working chan_capi environment with a recent (2.6.10 up)
> kernel, and could give a hint on any of those synthoms??
>
> I would like to try the new sourceforge chan_capi version 0.5.*, but it is not
> clear if these works with asterisk stable or only with cvs version? If so, are
> they (mostly) stable enough for testing in a production system (compared to
> chan_capi 0.3.5)?

It does work with stable and HEAD of Asterisk. The latest changes to the
voice buffer caused some problems, but 0.5.3 should be working (at least
here in my environment).

Armin