[Asterisk-Users] LiveVoip is Bankrupt - Why this thread

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue Jun 28 13:08:42 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 14:24 -0400, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 June 2005 13:49, hank wrote:
> > a man loose his mind?
> > what was the archive posting on that one? I want to read that :)
>
> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2005-April/098768.html
>
> The whole thread's kind of funny...  He started off really calm and rational,
> offering to donate time and space on his "modern, progressive" web forum with
> all his experience and so on, but when we (the community) ultimately turned
> him down he quite literally lost his mind, I think.
>
> -A.
gmane.org appears to have the group
gmane.comp.telephony.pbx.asterisk.users (and biz and dev).  Gmane is a
free service that does smtp->nntp and back again.  Has a web interface
to read the groups, etc.  For those that dont want email they should be
able to use that, or at least use that as a feeder if they dont want to
deal with email delivery.

It also provides group searching for people who want to read archives
for more help.

Perhaps the easiest way would be to have a mini-faq that explains how to
properly ask a question (what information should be provided when
asking) along with places to search for information (lists.digium.com,
gmane.org, google queries if you want to search, etc).  That way some of
the complaints about the list can be mitigated.

To be honest I dont know if the list sent something like this on
subscription, but it may have.  Some of the other lists I am on have a
faq maintainer (so 100 people dont all do it at the same time) that
sends such a faq once per month, but that may be extreme.

http://dir.gmane.org/index.php?prefix=gmane.comp.telephony.pbx.asterisk

There are 10 lists with posts in them that can all be read that way.

Note: I have no affiliation with gmane, and from using it, it appears to
be sponsored by donations not banner ads, etc, so it is a clean
interface (with multiple interfaces, rss, blog style, threaded, etc).

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378