[Asterisk-Users] Chan_Woomera beta released at www.pbxfreeware.org

TC trclark at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 27 10:57:42 MST 2005

> On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 14:41 -0500, Brian West wrote:
> > chan_woomera is another alternative h323 implementation.
> Without being rude, why do we need another one? ie, why did you decide
> that another one needed to be written, what are the advantages (and
> dis-advantages) ??
I think maybe you are missing the power of chan_woomera
it leverages the OPAL framework, so any protocol that is implemented
in opal with now automagic into asterisk, h323 just happens to be the first
protocol in that suite... ( think unicall as zaptel replacement as well :)

another advantage is licensing issues woomera is a tcp socket protocol
so you could potentially use commercial implementations of channels and or
codecs
in asterisk w/o the dual lic/gpl issue for channels driver linked direct to
* header files..

IMHO the biggest benefit, is it will allow down the road
abstraction of the channels from the core PBX switch functions
which is realy hurting scalability with * current channel driver design