[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk with dual WAN router

Luki lugosoft at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 20:19:42 MST 2005

Joseph,

this doesn't really answer your question, but this was mentioned
couple days ago (I think it was you) and it made me think if this can
work.

Assuming you only have one provider with one account, how will you
tell your provider to send calls to you through both connections? You
could balance it so that some DIDs come through connection A and
others through connection B, even then it won't be perfect since you
are not balancing concurrent calls but DIDs.

If you only have one DID, I don't think you can do much anyway; all
calls will come through the same connection. You could possibly do
some tricks with RTP stream redirection (SIP reinvites) or IAX
transfers by running two copies of asterisk, each bound to a different
IP, but you see it gets messy rather quickly. And I think that
requires the WAN router that is smart enough to distinguish separate
UDP streams going to the same destination, which is harder because UDP
(unlike TCP) is stateless.

I remember reading (sorry, no reference at the moment) that the WAN
interface for outgoing traffic is selected on a per-destination basis.
Meaning, when a new IP destination is seen by the router, a WAN
interface is chosen and all subsequent traffic to that IP will go
through that one WAN interface (at least for a while until the
selection expires). Essentially, the router will not send packets
using both WAN interfaces to the same destination.

It looks like you can almost do the same thing (if not more!) with the
advanced routing functionality in Linux and iptables. See:

http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1824/sam0201h/0201h.htm

--Luki