[Asterisk-Users] SpanDSP - Squished Faxes

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri Jun 24 14:33:52 MST 2005

> > The official word from digium is "TDM400P is not intended for use
> > with analog modems or faxes.
> > Thus, Digium will not support use of modems or faxes on the TDM400P."
>
> I must say that if Digium's position is that the engineering of Asterisk
> and/or the TDM400P is so shoddy as not to permit anything other than
> voice then that does not reflect terribly well on their products. What's
> a poor user who wants to use Asterisk as a PRI PBX to do? Get a channel
> bank to support one fax? I don't think so. It's hard to sell
> Asterisk/Digium as a serious alternative to Nortel with these
> embarrassments.

I think what digium is essentially saying is they are not going to spend
any time or resources trying to identify the problem. However, a couple
of us that already sunk funds into that board are trying to identify
the root cause. Certainly would be helpful if at least they would
provide an engineering interface, but as I've stated before, its highly
likely the design (including at least a part of the drivers) was
outsourced.

There is at least some hope in that Steve Underwood believes spandsp
worked with the TDM at one point, which would imply something has
changed in the driver category. Hopefully, we'll find the problem as
the TDM does fit the soho environment rather well.