[Asterisk-Users] INBAND DTMF G729 ASTERISK

Julio Arruda jarruda-asterisk at jarruda.com
Fri Jun 24 13:04:17 MST 2005

denis at isolve.com.br wrote:
>>2- Out-of-band is as safe/unsafe as having the conversation recorded,
>>including pin, by the hacker, if no encrypted voice path is being used.
>>as others mentioned, DTMF tones would be very "obvious" in a trace
>>(maybe someone may want to post an example).
>

> Watch out:
>
> http://www.asteriskbrasil.org/tiki/tiki-browse_image.php?imageId=17

Denis, I'm sure RFC2833 (or INFO for all that matters) would be easy,
what I mentioned, is that, with inband, it for sure still easy to
capture it, after all, the other end-point NEED to be able to regenerate
the DTMF back into the PSTN, so, best case, inband DTMF is security
through obscurity (and being G.729 and the other codecs a well known
standard, building a "DTMF recovery ethereal plugin" should not be
exactly rocket science..)