[Asterisk-Users] SpanDSP - Squished Faxes

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Fri Jun 24 12:49:56 MST 2005

George Pajari wrote:

> What's a poor user who wants to use Asterisk as a PRI PBX to do? Get a
> channel bank to support one fax? I don't think so. It's hard to sell
> Asterisk/Digium as a serious alternative to Nortel with these
> embarrassments.

Yeah, well, right now the only options are to do just that, a channel
bank just for the fax machines/modems... or run a T1-capable fax
machine/modem connected to another port on the incoming T1 card... or I
guess have analog phone lines brought in from the telco just for the
sake of the fax machines/modems.

Yeah, it seems pretty silly to have a T1 with plenty of available
channels, but not be able to use them for fax and so needing to order in
analog lines to accomplish the task.

I do all three.  I have offices where I've got a T1 fax modem chained to
the TE405P, offices where I use a channel bank, and offices where I have
to bring in additional analog lines from the telco just for the sake of
the faxes.  It makes fax "channels" pretty expensive in comparison to
voice channels.

Lee.