[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk server with remote monitoring capabilities

Joseph syscon at interbaun.com
Thu Jun 23 18:25:06 MST 2005

[snip]
> Okay, so what makes more sense:
>   1) a remote management card that will let me
> actually log in to the machine to monitor it as well
> as to reboot it
>     vs.
>   2) a remote-accessible powerstrip that will allow me
> to remotely reboot the server?

Well, if it is an APC unit that will gracefully shut down the machine it
should be OK, it will just cost you few extra backs.
I would definitely wouldn't go with something that would just cut the
power to the machine; as most of the time nothing will happen but there
will be a time that some file might get corrupted.

> I'm realising that sometimes the problem may simply be
> processes out of control, and may be something that
> doesn't require killing the entire machine, but just
> some processes.
>
> In my current setup (an ordinary PIII 1.someting GHz
> machine, not a server-class machine), when a process
> goes haywire, I lose remote access via SSH, so I drive
> to the colo, log in, sigh in frustration, and reboot
> "because I'm already here, so why not?".

It is alway good idea to have a relabel ssh access, as you will have a
chance to fix other issues with ssh as well.  So in my opinion ssh is
cheaper and more relabel.  Linux in general is a reliable machine
especially ssh access.

Just my 0.02c
--
#Joseph