[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk server with remote monitoring capabilities

beonice beonice at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 23 16:46:51 MST 2005

Hello, all.

I'm tired of having to drive out to the colocation
facility each time my dedicated asterisk server craps
out, just to press the button to do a hard reboot.
(I'm running 1.05 stable at present, no telephony
hardware, as this is mainly a system that receives
calls, no dial-out ability is needed.)

I've been looking at the fancy xeon-based systems
listed on ebay for a couple of hundred dollars, in the
hope that some of them have remote reboot
capabilities, but most of the sellers don't mention
this ability, and by the time I send out email, the
item is already taken anyway. :)

So, to cut the long story short, has anyone used one
of these server-class machines with remote reboot
capability, and does it really help? Are there any
particular configurations to stay away from?

The wiki doesn't talk specifically about issues
regarding dual-CPU machines, but in following the chat
here on asterisk-users, it seems there are definitely
issues there ... can anyone elaborate? I don't want to
spend money on a fancy system that turns out to be
useless for my purposes.

Thanks for any insight!

Cheers,
Maya