[Asterisk-Users] Using 2 x DSL

jltaylor jltaylor at metrotel.net
Thu Jun 23 12:53:07 MST 2005

You can't really do true bonding unless you control both ends of the link.
I had a customer who tried this.

It's easy to do with ATM and IMA interfaces on T1/T3 type stuff.

The $300-$1000 "dual wan" routers will not work off the shelf.

Policy based routing helped but it's tough to make it work.

Now, what you can do is put the Asterisk on ONE network and use policy based
routing to share other stuff like surfing, smtp, telnet, etc. You can
prioritize the traffic so that the packets to and from the Asterisk are
mangled to have the higher priority.

If both DSL's are for Asterisk ONLY then you might try round-robin DNS or
manually setup traffic.

Asteris will work on multiple LAN's - I have both a PUBLIC and PRIVATE ip in
the same box on different NIC's. Just set your routing.

James Taylor
MetroTel
3505 Summerhill Road
Suite 11