[Asterisk-Users] This cpu usage doesn't seem right.

Matthew Boehm mboehm at cytelcom.com
Thu Jun 23 07:39:47 MST 2005

Perhaps my deffinition of multi-threaded is skewed/wrong...

I've got asterisk HEAD running on a 4 proc machine.

I'm using top as my guide (and yes I know top sucks, but what else do I
use?).

I just watched asterisk hit 63% cpu usage for about 5 seconds. There
were 5/5 G729 licenses in use and 6 calls up during those 5 seconds.

CPU #2 had an idle of 39% and CPU #3 had 98%. CPU's #1 and #4 were both
100% idle.

This kinda tells me that our max number of calls we can handle is about
10-15? That doesn't seem right. That's not even a full T1.

I'm running an SMP kernel and asterisk is suposedly multi-threaded so
why isn't the load being shared better across the procs?

Is there some compiler flag I missed to make asterisk "better" for
multi-procs?

We want to be able to put in a quad span card but it seems asterisk
can't even handle a single span at this rate.

Ideas? Comments?

Thanks,
Matthew