[Asterisk-Users] Extension Configuration Best Practice

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Jun 21 14:25:37 MST 2005

There is no clean or simple way to do that today. You're essentially
looking for a way to disassociate the exten number from the user name,
and allow users to roam from one phone to another. I'm certainly not
saying that is impossible at all, just saying its not a current
approach that can be easily implemented.

If I were going to experiment with something to implement that approach,
I'd have to guess that I'd be involved with writing some AGI scripts,
etc.

If you don't have many people trying to do that, I'd be inclined to
look towards the call forwarding approach where each person is given
two extens; one for calls and one for controlling their own call
forwarding (eg, x1234, x4234) from anywhere within the * system.
Certainly wouldn't be that hard to accomplish.