[Asterisk-Users] Extension Configuration Best Practice

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Jun 21 08:25:29 MST 2005

One method is to give each hard and soft phone their own extension
numbers. Then create a 'call forwarding' approach that essentially
says when someone dials x1234, ring 1235 instead. I believe there
are a couple of asterisk-based call forwarding approaches shown in
the wiki.

One such way is to have your user dial a predetermined extension
(eg, 4123) and the code within that extension definition does a
dbput of some value (eg, true, 1, or whatever). Then when someone
calls x1234, test the value using dbget to see if the call should
be forwarded. That's all hard-coded logic, but the wiki has some
macros to do that same kind of thing.