[Asterisk-Users] webvmail debian package

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Tue Jun 21 00:33:08 MST 2005

Hi

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 09:25:13AM +0200, sylvain garcia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wouldlike use webvmail on my asterisk, I use debain Sarge with
> asterisk 1.0.7 package.
> I have installed package "asterisk-web-vmail" but when i go to
> http://MyAsteriskBOx, i have a page of presentation of Apache.

The list of files in the package:

http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?searchmode=filelist&word=asterisk-web-vmail&version=stable&arch=all

/usr/lib/cgi-bin is Debian's /cgi-bin . Thus the script is by-default at
http://hostname/cgi-bin/asterisk/vmail.cgi

Also note that you need to allow the script to read/write
/etc/asterisk/voicemail.conf and /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/ .
This can basically be done in two ways:

1. add the user www-data (apache) to the group asterisk
   - Every apache script has full access to asterisk
   - and if you still run asterisk as root, this is a potential root
     exploit

2. This is a separate cgi script: use suexec to run it as the asterisk
   user. However I must admit I found no straight-forward way of doing
   it for that script alone.

However in Rapid the vmail script is currently disabled: I wanted to try
to adapt it to our slightly different voicemail configuration and
noticed that the script has quite a bit of sphagetty in it. . I didn't
want to start modifying perl code that does not use strict and didn't
find the time to rewrite it to use strict.