[Asterisk-Users] ee1000 Ethernet in Dell 1850

Andres andres at telesip.net
Mon Jun 20 23:21:25 MST 2005

Andres wrote:

>>> Digium's site now lists the Dell 1850 as a potential problem server,
>>> as it uses the intel ee1000 Ethernet chipset (as do a majority of
>>> servers in the market!).
>>>
>>> To my knowledge, ALL dell servers with Gigabit interfaces now use
>>> the same chipset. Does this mean the Digium cards can't be used in
>>> Dell servers unless you disable the onboard ethernet?
>>>
>>> I don't want to disable the onboard interface, as I use the IPMI
>>> management facility for lights-out management. I have a 2850 that
>>> doesn't have any audio problems (the reason that I contacted Digium
>>> in the first place), so I'm wondering if Digium are simply guessing
>>> at problems.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know anything specific about the supposed
>>> incompatibilities with the ee1000 kernel module?
>>

> I am not sure where you got that chipset reference but all our
> PowerEdge 1850s come with:
> Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82541GI/PI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
>
> ...and they work fine with the TE410.

I finally got to confirm the e1000 reference on our systems:

[root at sitges net]# cat /proc/ioports

0cf8-0cff : PCI conf1
bc00-bcff : ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]
c000-dfff : PCI Bus #05
  c000-cfff : PCI Bus #07
    ccc0-ccff : PCI device 8086:1076 (Intel Corp.)
      ccc0-ccff : e1000
  d000-dfff : PCI Bus #06
    dcc0-dcff : PCI device 8086:1076 (Intel Corp.)
      dcc0-dcff : e1000

But as I said, the TE410 works perfectly under RH ES3.0

--
Andres
Network Admin