[Asterisk-Users] TxFax: can't get a fax to destination (log inside)

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Mon Jun 20 08:45:08 MST 2005

Marco Parmeggiani wrote:

> Can someone explain me what's going on and why the receiver of this
> fax guives up saying communication error?
>
> Start tx page 1
> <<< RTN: 4c
> Disconnecting

The receiver says communication error because txfax's response to the
receiver's RTN signal was a DCN (disconnect) signal instead of a usual
Phase B signal (i.e. DCS), also known as "retraining".

In non-ECM mode a receiver analyzes the "quality" of the incoming image
data and determines whether or not it is of an "acceptable quality".
Then, after the sender transmits the post-page signal (EOP in this case,
meaning "last page"), the receiver transmits either MCF (confirmation,
meaning the received page quality was acceptable) or RTN (meaning the
page quality was unacceptable and that retraining is required before the

My understanding of T.30 (and I'm not alone in this thought) was that
RTN is meant to be the antithesis of MCF.  So not only does it mean that
retraining is required for the next page, but it also means that the
basically the page will need to get resent for the page to get through.
However, many fax senders (especially old fax machines) were incapable
of retransmitting a page because they didn't have the memory to store a
full page of image data and so they sent data as they scanned it.  So of
necessity these senders had to treat RTN as a confirmation and they left
it up to the receiver to call back and request a retransmission of
whatever pages came through uncleanly.  Some senders may have even
produced a transmission report indicating to the sender which pages
should be retransmitted in a new call.  Ultimately what this did for the
fax community, though, was that it gave us a very confused understanding
of an RTN signal.  And so various things were programmed with this
confusing understanding programmed-in, and this programming often
persists in "modern" fax machines because manufacturers don't rewrite
their fax code very often if ever.

So txfax is behaving as many fax senders out there behave, although my
opinion is that it is behaving incorrectly... and apparently this
receiver that you are working with shares that opinion.

Lee.