[Asterisk-Users] Bill seconds [so far off topic that it has become a singularity]

Terry H. Gilsenan thg at interoil.com
Sun Jun 19 20:20:24 MST 2005

Fantastic, but not a single .au telco among them....... Your telcos may not
get great rates taling to our mobiles, but so what?

> > > I already included the link where it showed it costs more
> to call a
> > > cell phone. As for the the 10 times figure I made a
> mistake (since I
> > > was still under the impression that it costs only $.039 to call
> > > australia
> > > landline) and make it 4+ times as much (7 cents to
> landline and 30
> > > to cell, that makes; 30/7=4+2/7 times as much as to a landline).
> >
> > That's what happens when you pull figures out of the air. <chuckle>
>
> Really out of the air?

Yep.

> the interesting part here is that you
> know better than me that a huge chunk of your monthly phone
> bill (not your cell phone) goes towards phone calls made to
> mobile phones,

Really? I have already told you that calls from my land line to my mobiles
are free, what part of that didn't you understand?

> which is something that in the states doesn't
> exist, and still you argue that it doesn't cost you, and you
> divert this argument about what some company charges to
> Australia.

Huh? What are you taking about?

> In an avarage month every American can tell you
> EXACTLY how much they are GOING to pay for their cellphone
> that month, and in most cases it is not a lot based on the
> minutes used.

Ditto for .au

> However in places like Australia that you pay
> for your cell phone when calling from your home phone, there
> is no way of telling how much it is costing you since it
> costs you sometimes as much as 9 times as much to call a cell phone.

*<Sigh>* I pay _exactly_ $0.00 each month to call my mobiles regardless of
the number of calls, however you would have to pay to call _my_ mobiles, its
called preselection, and it's a feature of my telco.

> > > You already mentioned that (see below) that is NOT the argument.
> > >

> Because basic math teaches us that 2 negatives cancel each
> other, and I told you that the same is available in the
> states, so this argument is negated with the exact same
> argument that I have, and that is that I don't have to pay to
> ANY customer that is in the same network that I am (currently
> SprintPCS) nor does he pay for the incoming. So far all you
> have is only 5, and in the states I get about 30 Million
> phone numbers that I can call for free UNLIMITED (besides for
> nights and weekends that are completely free), so if you want
> this is another one for me.

Kewl! Its tit-for-tat time :D

> > > amount I spend.

> your cell

> > > point in that?

> > > phone off?

> > > whether you
> rec'ving calls
> > >
> > > I totaly agree that it makes it unattractive, but in no
> way does't
> > > it make the person calling me hesitate, so I can realy keep in
> > > touch.
> >
> > And so your spending level is dictated to you buy people
> that want to
> > call you, at the whim of another (so to speak)
>
> Not really, but lets say that yes, the bottom line is that
> compare the same amount of minutes from your cell phone and
> landline with an american, and whoops you overpaid. All
> because of the call you make to cell phones.

<chuckle>

> providers give you
> > > the incoming

> all, that
> > >
> > > Maybe, it makes it easier for the receiver but not for the one
> > > making the call.
> >
> > And it is the one that _chooses_ to make the call that make the
> > decision to spend the money. Who's money should they be
> able to choose
> > to spend? Quite frankly someone else being able to spend my
> money at
> > their whim scares the willies out of me.
>
> You keep missing the point here, you are right when keeping
> in touch is a choice, but take a simple example from lets say
> a painter. In the states he keeps open a landline phone, and
> since he is not at his desk during the day (he is painting
> now by some customer), he has to run an answering machine
> that takes the calls. Why? because he does not want to
> advertise the cell phone number since it costs him money the
> incoming.

Uh-huh.

> However in australia the cell providers succeeded
> in making sure that the oposite happens, now the painter gets
> a cell phone instead of a landline (it's cheaper for him,
> since if he doesn't make outgoing calls he deosn't pay
> anything, unlike landlines)

FYI: If the Cell charging model was changed in .au to rec'ver pays, there
would be a riot.

>, you want that painter, you have
> got no choice but to call his cell phone, and here it is that
> they took the choice from you.

In .au the caller has the choice as to whether he/she/it wants to make the
call and spend _their_ money. But in the states the caller makes the choice
as to whether he/she/it wants to make the call and spend _your_ money.

See? By taking that pain of spending away from the caller, your telcos have
backed your entire cel phone paradigm into a cash-cow for them. There is
less financial dis-incentive for the caller, and no choice for the callee.

> Look around and you will see
> how much for daily stuff like delivery guys, painters,
> contractors, and all the other types of day workers you can't
> reach on landlines because they simply don't have one for
> business, you HAVE to call them on their moblies.

Ha Ha Ha... Nonsence, have you take a look at the business directories,
etc.. Etc...

> > > So this part is again debateable, and not what the argument is
> > > about. But if you add up the cents and dollars it is
> cheaper to use
> > > cell phones in the states - where incoming costs
> sometimes as little
> > > as making a LD domestic call for the owner of the cell
> phone - than
> > > it is in Australia, or all the other countries that they
> charge as
> > > much as 4+ times to call the cell network.
> >
> > So the caller is more likely to (a) not waste my time, (b)
> not waste
> > my money, (c) Get on with what they wanted to tell me, etc.....
>
> That would imply that people that pay for outgoing would not
> (a) waste my time, (b) waste my money, (c) get on with what
> they wanted to tell me, etc...

For the most part yes :D

> So how come I (and I believe you can say the same)

Whoa! Don't you be putting words into my mouth boy'o

> do have
> people calling me from their home where they have to pay at
> least the long distance part (I'm not talking about people
> for whom to call my cell phone is local) that (a) do waste my
> time,

Some times perhaps, but it is their cost, not mine.

>(b) waste my moeny,

Nope, its their cost to call me

>(c) just keep beating around the
> bush untill the get on to what they wanted to tell me, etc......

Nope, because the antisocial person that I am hangs up on them.

<snip>

> > Very good, it seems that some sanity may begin to gain a foothold
> > there, all they need to do now is to change the parasitic
> cost shifted
> > charging model, and they will be on the right track.
>
> English please?

That was english, I don't know how to translate into american though, sorry.

<snip>

I think that this is so far off topic that this will be my last post on the
matter