[Asterisk-Users] Bill seconds

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 10:45:31 MST 2005

> > Why is it that if you pay 10 times as much to call a cell
> > phone you consider it NOT part of your cell phone bill?
>
> Who says I do? Where did you pull that "10 times" stuff? I don't have to pay
> anything more to call a Cell phone that I do to call a land line. In fact

OK, here it looks like you either misuderstood somthing or you are a
liar. I already included the link where it showed it costs more to
call a cell phone. As for the the 10 times figure I made a mistake
(since I was still under the impression that it costs only $.039 to
call australia landline) and make it 4+ times as much (7 cents to
landline and 30 to cell, that makes; 30/7=4+2/7 times as much as to a
landline).

> for the 5 mobiles that I own, (my family members) the calls between them and
> my land lines are free.

You already mentioned that (see below) that is NOT the argument.

> Again, as the originator of the call I get to choose the amount I spend.
>
> > Don't
> > you see how they succeeded in making you believe that your
> > cell phone is cheaper? I told you that none Amercians might
> > not understand this. :)
>
> Yeah, I see how _some_ americans don't get it.....
>

> > > when I don't originate the call, however in .us if you get
> > called, you
> > > pay, that can easily cost you a heap of money that you can only
> > > control by switching the phone off, and where is the point in that?
> >
> > Really?? cost you a heap of money? only by swithcing the phone off?
> > what ever happened to not picking up?
>
> Ok, there is that, so long as you take time to determine whether you
> recognise the number etc.... It does however make rec'ving calls on the Cell
> phone much less attractive.

I totaly agree that it makes it unattractive, but in no way does't it
make the person calling me hesitate, so I can realy keep in touch.

> > what about unlimited
> > nights and weekends completely free that most providers give
> > you here. What about the fact that even when you do pay for
> > the incoming it costs around
> > $.05 a minute?
>
> How about just not having to pay for incoming calls at all, that sounds much
> better. It makes being in touch easier and cheaper.

Maybe, it makes it easier for the receiver but not for the one making
the call. So this part is again debateable, and not what the argument
is about. But if you add up the cents and dollars it is cheaper to use
cell phones in the states - where incoming costs sometimes as little
as making a LD domestic call for the owner of the cell phone - than it
is in Australia, or all the other countries that they charge as much
as 4+ times to call the cell network.

> > I think I said enough.
>
> <chuckle> how does one respond to that?
>

> > > So if I rec'v 500 calls a week on my cell phone, it still
> > costs me nothing.
> >
> > Wrong, because your provider succeeded in convincing your
> > freind to make the same calculation, so when you have to call
> > your friend you then pay 10 times as much than to a regular phone.
>
> Pure and unadulterated crapola, did you know that when people pluck numbers
> out of the air like that it belittles their entire point?

Can you explain why you can't argue this in english? or is it that you
see that I am right? Now the only thing that I made a mistake about is
the 10 times it should be 4+ times.

> > > And in some cases if I have the Cell and the Landline from the same
> > > telco (in .au), calls between them are free too, regardless
> > of where I
> > > happen to be in australia at the time.
> >
> > So this we will take out of the argument since most American
> > providers don't charge in network either.
>
> They do for out of zone calls, however with the telco I am using and the
> account arrangements I have, it doesn't matter where the cell phone is, even
> 4000km away is still a free call to my home land line.

Really? I have a cell phone here in the states since January 1998, I
have had cell phones with: Verizon, SprintPCS, AT&T, Cingular, and
Nextel. None of them ever had so called out of zones, as long as I was
anywhere on their network (CA to NY, to FL to WA, and all of the lower
48) had the same rate. In my family we currently have more than 10
cell phones, none pay any extra based on where they are.

Here show me how many plans have what you describe:
http://www.sprintpcs.com/
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/index.jsp
http://www.nextel.com/
http://www.cingular.com/indexc
http://www.t-mobile.com/

> > > Oh, and cucumber seem to be doing you no favours either....
> > >
> > > I can place a call to the US using my Cell phone for 1-2c/minute,
> > > <shrug> Caviat Emptor?
> >
> > Actualy you are right about this one, didn't realize they
> > changed the rates to au, it used to be $.039 a minute. Thanks
> > for pointing this out. In any case I know that Australia has
> > now very good rates to call UK and the states, but that is
> > only as far as LD goes.
>
> I have VoIP for calls to the .us and .uk I also can route my call via my
> home * box and then over VoIP to many other places to make the calls
> *<free>* so with a call to .us for instance, I can use my cell to call one
> of my home land lines *<free>* and then via * connect to the us using one of
> the IP Telcos *<1c/min>* , or to my office in Houston to the * box there
> *<free>*

Well, this has nothing to do with the rates of cell phones, I think
you agree on this one.

> Further: In the .US there is a groundswell of people that are angry with
> telemarketers calling them on their cell phones, Why is this? A: because the
> cost of the call is shifted to the called party, just like spam. The .au
> model of "caller pays" has pretty much ensured that telemarketers wont be a
> problem on _my_ cell phone.

Again I don't see that makes the cost of cell phones more expensive in any way.

BTW, to call UK landline it's $.029 and UK Cell $.30.
Source:
http://www.cucumber.com/fullinternational29.htm#u
Most providers aren't as cheap to regular UK that it comes out to 10
times as much, but this might tell you where I got the idea from.