[Asterisk-Users] Analog modems behind an Asterisk server?

Christian Schnell cs at rekoba.de
Fri Jun 17 05:19:26 MST 2005

Hello, we would like to hook up analog modems behind an Asterisk server,
and we're very interested in the experiences that others have made when
attempting that. We assume that there are no inherent problems with
modems in respect to the Asterisk software, but it appears that the
FXO/FXS hardware restricts this kind of a setup to lower data
transmission rates, is this correct?

Currently, we only transmit at 1200bps, is this rate problematic with
Digium cards? Up to what data transmission rate are Digium cards known
to work reliable? We do not think we'll ever go beyond 9600bps, can we
do this with a let's say TDM400P?

Will future Digium hardware improve the situation or will this stay the
same in the future?

How is hardware from other vendors performing when using analog modems?

Thanks for any information on this,
Christian Schnell.
REKOBA GmbH Berlin