Subject: [Asterisk-Users] asterisk gsm gateway hardware

Patrick Lidstone (Personal E-mail) patrick at lidstone.net
Thu Jun 16 07:05:17 MST 2005

> Hello,
>
>   I would like to implement a home GSM gateway using asterisk. What
> would you recommend me as a low-cost hardware for creating a gsm
> channel? I found 2n gsm gateway, that supports sip and chan_blue for
> bluetooth connections. Any recommendations?
>
>   Basically, I want to end calls to some GSM number in my sip
> telephone and for some prefixes dial out using that same sip
> telephone. Also sending and receiving SMS will be a plus.
>
>   I have a friend living in luxembourg, which would like a slovak
> phone number to communicate with friends. It would end on my server at
> home and all calls to his sim card will be routed to his ip telephone
> in luxembourg (and vice versa).
>
>   Support for more than one sim card is a plus. Since it's a
> home/hobby use, I would prefer a low-cost solution. Any ideas (may be
> off-list) are welcome).

The solution I use works very well if you need to be able to take the mobile
phone away with you when you leave the house. I use a phonelabs.com
dock'n'talk with a bluetooth module connected to a standard digium one-port
FXO card (XP100). I can make and receive GSM calls via my mobile from
asterisk, treating it as "just another channel". The phone automatically
connects to the dock'n'talk when it comes into bluetooth range.

If you are happy with a fixed solution, where you leave the SIM permanently
installed, you might want to look for a Nokia Premicell or equivalent on
e-bay. This would also connect to a standard FXO port.

HTH

Patrick