[Asterisk-Users] HT-488 vs. SPA-3000?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Jun 15 14:50:55 MST 2005

> > In other words, the further the spa3000 (or TDM card) is from the
> > central office, the more difficult it seems to be to set gain values
> > that are acceptable. That's apparently why many people find its use
> > is okay while others seem to think its objectionable.
> >

> I've read all of these reports and thought... "Wow, I must be lucky".
> The audio on mine is perfect. My wife uses it ALL day and has never
> complained about the voice quality. She is very picky too..
>
> Just for comparison's sake, here is the info on mine
>
> Product Information
> Product Name:                SPA-3000
> Serial Number:              88012DA02506
> Software Version:            2.0.11(GWg)
> Hardware Version:           2.0.1(96a3)
> MAC Address:                 000E08CAF559
> Client Certificate:         Installed
>
> Now, it very well could be distance to CO, but I doubt that I am that
> close. I live out in the woods.
>
> Sorry you guys have all these problems, but mine is perfect outside of
> the occasional "talk off".

Same here. When I mentioned distance from the central office, I probably
should have mentioned distance from the Remote Line Cabinet (or whatever
your local telco might be using). Just about every telco now deploys
concentrators of some sort that essentially makes it look like you are
much closer to the central office then what you actually are. Its the
transmission loss that occurs over copper cables (where ever the other
end of that happens to be in your case) that seems to be the key.

When viewing your spa3k config via the PSTN tab, what do you show for
SPA to PSTN Gain, and, PSTN to SPA Gain near the bottom of that page?

If those values are small and you wife is okay with audio levels, then
you're not far from the central office or remote line cabinet.