[Asterisk-Users] SIP call doesn't execute the 's'-extension

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Jun 15 09:13:47 MST 2005

> > The "s" extension matches only when "no" digits are dialed. Dialing a "1"
> > is a digit, so no match.
> >
> Oh, ok, i think now i understood. So the "s" extension is mainly the
> starting point for contexes which i reaches from other contexes, eg.
> because of a goto. When I receive a call there are naturally some digits
> dialed and with the pattern matching, you have suggested, i am able to
> react on them.

In the most general case, the exten=>s is for incoming analog pstn
lines (fxo ports) where the central office sends a call to your
asterisk box by ringing the line. There are no digits sent to asterisk
at all, therefore exten=>s is used to handle that incoming call.

Or, if you have an account with an itsp that sends incoming calls
to your asterisk via iax/sip and doesn't send any digits to you,
then exten=>s is used for those as well.

It really has nothing to do with 'other' contexts.