[Asterisk-Users] Making Asterisk NOT Pickup a Line when Ringing?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Jun 15 07:56:32 MST 2005

> > The wait(s) isn't needed either; in this case it adds no value to the
> > solution whatsoever other then making you think its waiting around.
>
> Actually they are necessary.
>
> > So what do you think happens after the specified x seconds?
> > Nothing, unless you have more statements. So why burn cpu cycles to
> > calculate the end of the wait period, and _then_ do nothing?
>
> If there isn't a sufficiently (60s?) long wait in there then Asterisk will
> finish the dialplan and the next ring indication will make it start the
> dialplan over again.  And again.   And again.

Not on my cvs-head system that has been in use for over a year, and
updated to current cvs-head on a regular basis.

Used that same approach (until recently) for a fax pstn line. The
analog fax machine always answered the incoming calls, and zapata.conf
always pointed to a context that never did anything (not even a wait).
We still used that same analog pstn line for outgoing calls.

I think the key issue in this thread is the OP's wish to have some
external analog device answer incoming calls. When that external
device answers the incoming call, ringing disappears from asterisk's
perspective and asterisk treats it just like an abandoned call. If
the incoming call context doesn't have any statements to answer that
call, its not going to do anything with it. (In other words, the call
disappeared within a second or two after the first ring. Waiting
around for another 10 to 60 seconds, or whatever, doesn't do anything
useful.)