[Asterisk-Users] 488 Not Acceptable Here

Andres andres at telesip.net
Tue Jun 14 17:17:33 MST 2005

Nabeel Jafferali wrote:

>I have a whole bunch of remote devices connected to my Asterisk box,
>including SPA-3000s, PAP2-NAs and Cisco 7960s. The PAP2-NAs I have only
>rolled out recently and I am having a problem that is intermittent and
>inconsistent.
>
>It happens to some users but not other users on the same ISP. It happens to
>users in 2 different countries where the Internet setup (NAT issues) are
>completely different. It happens to some users intermittently and some users
>on every call. Note all the PAP2-NAs are running the same and latest
>firmware.
>
>Am I missing something completely obvious? Is there a way to see why
>Asterisk is sending 488 (i.e. what is not acceptable?). sip debug peer and
>sip.conf is below:

The message is generated directly by the called Sipura/PAP2.

This message is very likely due to a codec issue (ie, the called unit
was instructed to use G279 but it had already one call setup with G729),
or the called unit was in the process of setting up a call and had no
available G279 codec for the second call.  ( the Sipuras/PAP2 reserve
G729 during call setup even though it might end up using G711).  The
codec is only released once the call is set up.

--
Andres
Network Admin