[Asterisk-Users] Keeping users, extensions, voicemail and so on in DB

Damon Estep damon at suburbanbroadband.net
Mon Jun 13 23:20:57 MST 2005

Forget about MS SQL, odbc drivers that run on linux to talk to MS SQL
stink Odbc in general stinks.

You might be able to get MS SQL DTS (data transformation services) to
link to the mysql database and present the data as it were in your ms
sql database.

There is a pretty good odbc 3.51 mysql driver for windows, as well as a
.net provider. Both at www.mysql.org.

Mysql is free, * will talk to is using the native TDS

You can run the windows version of mysql on a windows box if you wish,
but why? Faster if it is on the same box as asterisk unless * is heavily
loaded.

I tried the * > realtime > odbc > mssql thing, gave up after having poor
results getting the various ms sql drivers for linux to work right.

our main app uses data in ms sql and mysql and there is a common key in
the data to link accounting data with the * user data for views where
they are both required.

We also use mysql for cdr for billing purposes.

I was much more comfortable with .net ms sql, but the transition and
integration with mysql was easy. Just store the asterisk specific data
in mysql, everthing else in ms sql if you must.