[Asterisk-Users] Should I choose DSL @ 1.5 or a full T1?

Dave Weis djweis at sjdjweis.com
Mon Jun 13 19:30:45 MST 2005

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Damon Estep wrote:
> You guys have me second guessing my training and experience in this
> area, so;
> 1. If I am wrong I apologize to the group.
> 2. I have been trying for a few minutes to find confirmation either way.
>> From what I know about the modulation techniques used by DSL (DMT, CAP,
> QAM) it is impossible for the transceiver in the device to transmit and
> receive at the same time (unless there is discreet "channels" for each
> path and a very good transceiver).

There are three frequency ranges on ADSL, the voice portion (lowest), the
upstream (middle), and the downstream (highest). They are split into
different frequencies so filters can pick out the up and down. It's
capable of full duplex, but as the downstream speed increases, the big
differential causes the issue below.

> Can anyone provide a more logical explanation of why the outbound
> latency on every DSL modem tested increases with inbound traffic? Even
> at rates well below the maximum data rate, Not the case on a T1. My
> explanation is that the additional latency is due to packet scheduling
> and queuing mechanisms required by the technology.

That is usually due to the TCP acks getting delayed in transit, making the
other end wait to send the next packets. On a symmetrical circuit you
don't see it as much, but the asymmetry on ADSL makes it more apparent.

dave

Dave Weis             "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment
djweis at sjdjweis.com   of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent
                       encroachments of those in power than by violent
                       and sudden usurpations."- James Madison