[Asterisk-Users] T1 multiplexer (or ?) for failover in large installation

Leon Sun leon at timestelecom.ca
Mon Jun 13 11:24:31 MST 2005

Use Adtran Atlas 800.

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of qrss
Sent: June 13, 2005 9:55 AM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] T1 multiplexer (or ?) for failover in large
installation

The box that you are talking about sounds a lot like a DACS.  You might
google around on that term to see if any might have automatic failover.  A
DACS can be reconfigured to cross-connect various DS0s on the fly -
although, no matter how fast the switchover, the carrier will always "see"
that something happened.  Depending upon what type of signalling you are
using, the trunks could end up out of service for a period longer than it
takes to switch to the backup server.  Also, the system can potentially
fail in several ways.  At the T1 level, at the trunk level and at the
application level.  Depending upon the nature of the failure, the one-box
does it all solution seems unlikely to work - at least not by itself.