[Asterisk-Users] Re: Digium Website Update: Asterisk Business Edition

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sun Jun 12 09:15:50 MST 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-12 at 17:58 +0200, Esben Stien wrote:
> "Kevin P. Fleming" <kpfleming at digium.com> writes:
>
> > Please read the text of the Digium Asterisk contribution disclaimers
> > before making incorrect statements like this.
>
> Yes, sorry, my wording was incorrect. You still have the code you've
> written and it's still free, but you give digium the right to release
> it as non free software, something which is unacceptable to me. The
> whole idea of free software is to ensure the freedom of the software,
> wherever it may go.

Limits increase this freedom?  I dont understand how placing limits on
its use increases its freedom, could you please explain that to me?

> As a side note, I have nothing against giving the fsf the copyright of
> my code, which is an organization I trust.

I dont, proposed gpl 3.0 is to make GPLed code a commercial product.  I
will actually bet money that the payments goto the FSF rather than to
the copyright holder, but as gpl 3.0 is still 'secret' (one of the (5?)
reviewers came out with the charging commercial users of the code)..

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378