[Asterisk-Users] Re: Re: Digium Website Update: Asterisk Business Edition

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sun Jun 12 09:13:19 MST 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-12 at 17:01 +0100, Bob Goddard wrote:
> For the last time, Apple took a ready written O/S in FreeBSD, the FSF
> are doing effectively a full rewrite of FreeBSD. A year my arse. Few
> people are working on Hurd where as with *BSD and Linux they are a cast
> of thousands.
Glad that its the last time, that means that you finally realized how
stupid you really are.

While the BSD components are based on freebsd 5 (in 10.4) guess what,
fbsd is a monolithic kernel, not a microkernel, as such they have to
write 'servers' (mach speak for the different threads that handle the
different aspects of the operating system).  HURD hasnt happened because
according to stallman writing those servers "is really hard".  Had you
known this little detail you would know that you cant just take a BSD
monolithic kernel and stick it into mach and have any sort of
performance (infact early mach versions did this but the context
switching caused far too much overhead).  It was broken up into
different processes rather than one large process that would greatly
slow performance.

I am sorry that I offended your religion by quoting stallman.  Perhaps
you should do a little more reading before you take offense to what
stallman said.

I do have to commend you by stating clearly this is the last time you
will tell me I am right and that you really are an idiot.  Perhaps now
we can get on to other things.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378