[Asterisk-Users] Re: Re: Digium Website Update: Asterisk Business Edition

snacktime snacktime at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 02:46:16 MST 2005

> No, but there was some talk about exactly what "linking" refers to.  If you
> develop a 3rd party .so that asterisk loads, it does fall under the GPL; you
> can't make a wowie-gee CDR or call routing module and license it any way you
> please.

That really depends.  Generally the gpl works the other way around
(when it's your code loading gpl libraries).   Say I write a cdr
module that doesn't use any asterisk code or header files with it's
own interface and release it under the bsd license.  Then in asterisk
I load it and call it's functions.  It's not under the gpl.

And even if I release a module in a way that a copy does fall under
the gpl, that doesn't stop me from releasing other copies under any
damn license I want to.  I could for example license it to a
commercial vendor to use in their own voip software under a commercial
license or the bsd license.

What I can't do is take away your right to use the gpl copy I put out
there.  That is the ONLY thing I can't do.

Chris