[Asterisk-Users] Re: Re: Digium Website Update: Asterisk Business Edition

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sun Jun 12 01:03:55 MST 2005

On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 18:02 -0400, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> On Saturday 11 June 2005 16:10, trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com wrote:
> > I have seen more people on this list freak out if people but non digium
> > hardware to run their asterisk box (usually at a substantial price
> > discount).  People on this list have actually freaked out that someone
> > would dare buy a cheaper card (like the x100ps for example, which afaik
> > digium doeesnt sell anymore, granted this was an older thread) and not
> > support digium (there was a similar rant over using voice modems instead
> > of an x100p way back when).
>
> Let's get it straight WHY this was the case (at least for me)
>
> - Guy buys $5 winmodem and tries using it
> - Guy has INSANE-O amounts of problems with echo and general weirdness
> - Guy refuses to listen to the list to TRY KNOWN HARDWARE before optimizing
> - Guy insists that it's Asterisk that sucks

> At least for me, THIS is why I "freaked out" on people for buying the clone
> cards.  Once you know what you're doing and what can cause problems and you

I was not refering to you specifically then, sorry that you got offended
by me talking about specific events that you werent part of.

I was clear in saying that people freaked out and said that others
should not but 3rd party hardware becuase they should "support digium".
There were no claims of asterisk sucking or anything just a big flame
war that I was speaking of.  Those that wanted to use 3rd party hardware
and those that felt that digium should be supported.  I did not speak of
anything else.

I apologize that I did not speak of your situqation specifically.  Next
time I will be sure to include you personally in my posts to this
list.

> > Personally I dont see a problem with any of this.  If digium makes it
> > too difficult to do stuff asterisk *can* be forked unless that is
> > forbidden (because its GPL I didnt bother to look at forking issues
>
> Nope you can fork it, and in fact there have been several forks but AFAIK
> they've all died out due to lack of mindshare.

I thought most of them died because the people that fork it dont know
that much in terms of overall project management, design, etc.  They are
just caught up in the moment that either their way is better because
they are always right, or they were trying to get away from some 'big
evil corporation' and they didnt realize how much work it is to make a
release.

Some forks have worked well.  And continue to work well.  It depends on
who forks and why.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378