[Asterisk-Users] Re: Voicemail and MS Exchange Synchronization

Race Vanderdecken asteriskusers at codetyrant.com
Sat Jun 11 17:30:26 MST 2005

Ding! Ding! Ding!  We have a Winner folks!

	Yes, to the user it should only be the choice of where there
messages go and if they get deleted. They should not know about anything
behind the curtain.

	Would it not be great to have asterisk voicemail messages stored
in a non-asterisk dependent storage box!

	That is probably why asterisk voicemail is so well liked. You
can store the messages pretty much any way you like.

       Many of you probably do not know that if you want to add
voicemail message storage to some proprietary voicemail systems that you
have to thousands per megabyte of disk space. You have to buy their
“magic” hard discs that only work with their voicemail systems.

	Much of the reason I was brought into the world of voicemail to
begin with was to fix just that reason. A customer wanted to replace his
200+ voicemail server with a home built system. Why? Because it was
going to cost him $10,000 to add about 10,000 minutes to each of his
200+ voicemail servers. And he wanted to add 100 more servers, and many
more hours each. He wanted to expand to 1,000,000 customers.

	Do the math, over $2 million just to do the upgrade. We created
his new networked system with unlimited storage and expansion for
$1,000,000 in labor in about $250,000 in hardware. He liked the work so
much he bought the company (for stock in his, then took the good stuff,
dumped the workers and went on to be a more successful business man.)

	So, do I hear anyone asking for a MySQL database to store
asterisk voicemail and configurations (and all that admin stuff?)

	Add to that a pop/imap/smtp server that is based on the same
MySQL database (does anyone see the irony yet?)

	Hmmm, a message server. A place to collect messages; email, fax,
voicemails, pages, and all that. Please don't mention Universal
Messaging or the Universal Inbox.

	Funny, how each way to collect and distribute messages got to be
so diverse in which each kind of message got sent to its only pigeon
hole.

	What would the world pay for a Message Server that could act
more like a human? You ask for a message, it hands it to you in the
correct format for the media you are on?

	Does anyone remember RIFF? TIFF?

	Race "the tyrant" Vanderdecken